Each month we release a Market Wrap that is compiled by our Chief Investment Office (CIO). With various comments on the market each month, please contact your adviser if you have any questions!
A mixed bag
- After January’s bounce, February was a little quieter but still ended in positive territory, with global shares up by 3.4% and 5.6% in hedged and unhedged terms respectively.
- US shares similarly were up 3%, a more modest rise than January’s 7.9% rally, which was driven by a better-than-expected US reporting season.
- The full effects of the long US government shutdown are yet to be seen, but US GDP growth slowed significantly in the December 2018 quarter, to 2.6% following 3.4% growth in the September quarter.
- Australian shares performed well – twice as well as US shares, in fact – up 6% for the month.
- The RBA is currently forecasting growth of around 3% for the Australian economy in 2019, supported by increased business investment and public infrastructure spending.
- In the eurozone, hopes for avoiding widespread recession seem to be pinned on a strong Asian recovery, while the Brexit issue continues to cloud the UK economy.
- China-US trade relations have thawed somewhat, with Trump announcing that tariff increases on Chinese goods would be delayed, raising hopes that a trade agreement will be reached soon.
- The Australian dollar slipped slightly against all the major currencies, down to US71c and €0.62 at the end of the month.
Major asset class performance (%)
|1 month||12 months||5 years (p.a)|
|Global shares (hedged)||3.4||2.4||9.4|
|Global shares (unhedged)||5.6||10.1||11.7|
| Global emerging markets |
| Global small companies |
|Global listed property||0.2||15.9||8.6|
|Australian fixed income||0.9||6.2||4.7|
|International fixed income||0.1||3.7||4.5|
Source: JP Morgan & ANZ Wealth, 28 February 2019. Indices: Australian shares: S&P/ASX 300 Accumulation | Global shares (hedged/unhedged): MSCI World ex Australia Net | Global emerging markets: MSCI Emerging Markets Net in AUD (unhedged) | Global small companies (unhedged): MSCI World ex Aust Small Cap | Global listed property: FTSE EPRA/NAREIT Developed Rental Index ex Australia (hedged) | Cash: Bloomberg Bank Bill | Australian fixed income: Bloomberg AusBond Composite 0+ Yr Index | International fixed income: Barclays Global Aggregate Bond Index (hedged). Please note: Past performance is not indicative of future performance.
|Exchange Rates||At close 28/02||% change |
|% change |
|Trade weighted index||60.5||-1.5||-4.6|
Source: Bloomberg & ANZ Wealth, 28 February 2019.All foreign exchange rates are rounded to two decimal places where appropriate. Please note: Past performance is not indicative of future performance.
We are here to help!
Whether you want to talk about what has happened, what may happen, or what is happening in the financial world we are here to help!!
Please CONTACT US for an obligation free meeting with one of our experienced advisers.
Visit us on Facebook!
Did you know we have a Facebook page? It is a fun way for us to interact with you, and an easy way to share articles like this with your family and friends!
Click here to go directly to our Facebook page and make sure you give us a LIKE to stay up to date with all our content!
Disclaimer: This editorial and the information within, including tax, does not consider your personal circumstances and is general advice only. It has been prepared without taking into account any of your individual objectives, financial solutions or needs. Before acting on this information you should consider its appropriateness, having regard to your own objectives, financial situation and needs. You should read the relevant Product Disclosure Statements and seek personal advice from a qualified financial adviser. The views expressed in this publication are solely those of the author; they are not reflective or indicative of Licensee’s position, and are not to be attributed to the Licensee. They cannot be reproduced in any form without the express written consent of the author. RI Advice Group Pty Limited ABN 23 001 774 125, AFSL 238429.